The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial |Keeping it Real

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial

My favorite projects are those that come together quickly. Ideally, I prefer things that I can start and finish in the same day, otherwise they run the risk of ending up in the unfinished projects pile for quite some time. So, when I decided to add a new pillow to our living room couch, I knew I had to make it the easy way. 

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial


When we replaced the living room couch I basically used the same pillows we already had with minimal changes (you can read about it here), but then I decided I needed one more pillow, a bit larger than the others, for better back support. 

While going through my stash, I also found the perfect fabric to match our new black couch: 

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial

So, I quickly made a pillow cover. "Quickly" being the keyword here. Let me show you how. 

First, measure and cut your fabric. I guess this task was made easy for me since this piece was all I had of the fabric and the pillow was big. So, no real cutting involved.

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial

But basically, your fabric should be enough to cover the pillow and create a fold, envelope style. Usually I prefer my fold to be on the longest side of the pillows, but due to the size of this particular piece of fabric, I had to do it on the shorter side. You can hem the side that you are folding in if you want: 

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial

This is optional, as this edge of the fabric will be hidden, so unless your fabric frays a lot, you can leave it as is. Because I'm picky (and I prefer to avoid any situation where my kids find loose threads to pull), I hemmed.

Next, fold and pin in place. 

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial

And then fold again onto the shape of the actual pillow, right sides together. 

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial

Sew all three remaining sides of the pillow (other than the folded one). Turn inside out and press the seams. 

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial

And your new pillow cover is finished. Place pillow inside and use the fold to keep it in place.

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial

I'm really happy with this pillow cover, as I think it matches the couch (and the rest of our living room decor) perfectly. Too bad I didn't have any more of this particular fabric, or I would have added one pillow more.

The 10-minute pillow cover tutorial

And it is such an easy project that I'm thinking about making new pillow covers for our guest room bed too. Hopefully I'll be able to share those soon. 

Happy Tuesday, 







16 comments:

  1. that does sound easy and very cute to boot. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Evening Teresa, Do you know I think I might have this material in my cupboard. I went to the Harrogate Quilt Show last year and I bought half a metre. I was thinking I could make the front of the cushion with this material and the backing could be a plain material.
    Thank you for the idea, it really is a lovely cushion.
    Best wishes to you.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne. You can certainly use a different fabric for the back of the pillow - it could be a reversible pillow and you could change sides according to your decor. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Very clever! I love quick and easy projects like this one!! It is such a nice cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so neat! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! Thank you for sopping by, and for the invite!

      Delete
  5. Oh, my goodness! I love your pillow cover! Thank you for sharing this tutorial at Tuesdays with a Twist! I'd like to feature your post today! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marci, for the feature and for stopping by. I'll head over later to check this week's party!

      Delete
  6. Love your pillow cover, looks really great.
    Where did you find that fabric? Would love to make pillow cover with it also but have lots of pieces can use to make pillow covers. When I get urge to make pillow covers or table runners I go searching in my stash, we live few miles from store to buy fabric and I tend to get these urges at odd hours so consulting my stash is always first, lots cheaper also.
    You make pillow covers like I do, especially if fabric is kinda scant. Usually will take pillow, put on fabric, pin on one side, then cut, don't have patience to be measuring, lol.
    Hope you're having wonderful Fall week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I found the fabric a while ago at a craft store sale, and I only got this piece, so I really didn't have a lot of design choices while making the pillow cover.

      Delete
  7. Great tutorial Teresa and I love the fabric you chose, it's so pretty. Thank you so much for sharing, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this and your tutorial, thanks for sharing. Pinned and will hopefully make soon!

    ReplyDelete