No clutter in 2015: week 15 update |Keeping it Real

Thursday, April 16, 2015

No clutter in 2015: week 15 update


As promised, last weekend was I mostly occupied with my daughter's room, decluttering, putting things in their right places and cleaning. It is amazing the amount of trash kids stash in the middle of books and toys. Everything that did not belong in the room was taken out and now it looks a lot better.

I also took the opportunity to remove out from her bookshelf a few books she has outgrown. Some are doing to be donated, but there are a few that I'm planning to keep. They were my son's first books, then my daughter's, and they really pack a lot of memories. Maybe in a few years I'll feel differently, but for now I want to keep them. Though there is no need to have them in a bookshelf gathering dust if they are not being used.

So I took home from the office the lid of a cardboard box of printer paper, covered in in a cute self-adhesive paper and used it to store those books.


Now they fit well in one of the closet shelves until I find a more suitable alternative (if anyone has suggestions for storing old children's books for posterity, please let me know).
 

In retrospect, I also should have taken a picture of the cleaned and tidied room, because coming next weekend it will probably become a mess again. But at least the meaningless clutter is gone.

And what comes next? Well, hopefully we'll finish the current round of re-painting the walls next weekend and then we'll have to clean the floors and put furniture back in its place. It's not exactly decluttering, but it serves the same purpose of having an improved home by the end of the year.

I have a series of unfinished craft/sewing projects I need to finish as well. And if there is still some time left that, I want to start cleaning out the guest room (because all the stuff we don't know where to put usually ends up there...). I'll let you know how it goes next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment