Felt coin purse for boys: a tuesday mini-project |Keeping it Real

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Felt coin purse for boys: a tuesday mini-project

Today I bring you a quick and easy mini project: a coin purse for boys. My son sometimes likes to keep a couple of coins with him. I guess it makes him feel more gown up. But his pants pockets don't hold a lot, so some time ago I made him a little felt coin purse for him to keep his coins.


felt coin purse

Since then, I have made several others, since he sometimes loses them, or I put his pants in the washer and forget to search the pockets. The last one was orange and apparently it was misplaced sometime last Saturday (I'm decluttering, so I may have some responsibility in the matter, though I honestly don't remember picking it up), so I made a new one and this time I took some pictures to make a mini tutorial.

What you need: a strip of felt (scraps are welcome), matching thread and a cute boy button.

felt coin purse

Fold the felt as shown, to create a pocket with a flap...

felt coin purse

...and then sew the sides:

felt coin purse





I hand stitched the sides using a blanket stitch, but any other stitch is OK. Machine sewing also works, though you may not want to re-thread your machine for such a small project.

Sew the button...

felt coin purse




...and then cut a small slit on the flap, just long enough for the button to pass through. Since felt doesn't fray, making button casings is as simple as this.

Your coin purse is ready!

felt coin purse


You can obviously also make a girly version of the coin purse, but in my experience girls want bigger purses. My daughter usually requests to have her own version of everything I make for her brother and this time she was totally uninterested, so it may be a good indication...

Enjoy,



10 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Love it!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting Jess, I love to link up!

      Delete
  2. This is such a great little project. Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a fun little purse for boys or girls :) You know kids have little treasures they love to keep, a couple of these would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The button really makes this project way too cute! Thanks for sharing at Totally Terrific Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way too cute!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party! Come back again on Thursday and share some more!! I love having you!! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete