My goals for 2015: the year of no clutter |Keeping it Real

Monday, January 5, 2015

My goals for 2015: the year of no clutter

goals for 2015, new year resolutions, no clutter


Well, it's now the 5th of January so it took me some time to write this, but I assure you I have been busy anyway.

This year, instead of a long list of resolutions, half of which remain unaccomplished by December 31st, I have decided to have just one goal: 2015 will be the year of no clutter in our house.

We have a big house, but our closets are full of stuff. After a while, I can't even remember what is stored in there. So I have decided that I'm going to go through all our closets and sort out things. Some will be upcycled, others will be sold or donated. But I want to end 2015 with a lot less clutter.

I have even started before the end of 2014, with my book collection. I'm an avid reader. Pre-kids I could easily read 2 to 3 books a week and even now I still read a lot, on the train to and from work, and at night, when everyone else is asleep. After a while, books start to pile up. So I have decided to go digital.

I have now the free Kindle app on my iPad and the Kindle for PC reader installed and I'm working on downloading all those books that I really enjoyed and will probably want to re-read in the future. I will not be buying any more paper books except on special occasions. For now I'm just keeping the old books I've inherited from my grandfather, those that I received as gifts and some of my childhood/teen books because my kids can still enjoy them. All other physical books I own now are going away.

Right now my home office is full of piles of books already selected to be discarded. Some of them I will be selling as used books, the rest will just be donated. It will probably be some time before everything is done, but I'm already seeing some shelf room released, which is good.

My 2015 clutter free resolution will also bring on a lot of reuse and upcycle projects as I move though our closets sorting out things. The first of these projects is a simple sweater makeover that I started right after the beginning of the year and is almost finished, so I expect to post about it later today. Stay tuned!



8 comments:

  1. I saw your link on the Merry Monday Party. I have the same goal! I started my decluttering project over the weekend.My home office and closets are going to be cleared out and organized this year. That's a whole series of blog posts! They are a mess. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too. Since starting is supposed to be the hardest step, I guess we are both going in the right direction. Have a wonderful 2015!

      Delete
  2. What a great post! :) Good luck!!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great resolution! I'm going to be working on de-cluttering this year, too. I look forward to learning from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how it goes, but for now I'm really motivated. Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful 2015!

      Delete
  4. I hope this works...I need to try de-cluttering too!! Hey I would love it if you shared you stuff on my new Link Party that starts tomorrow...Thursday! Its called My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! here is the link...You have great stuff!! Thanks for sharing!!http://www.cookinandcraftin.com/my-2-favorite-things-link-party-1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, it will work and we'll have lots of useful tips to share by the year-end! Thank you for stopping by, off to check your party, I love new parties!

      Delete