Wordless Wednesday 26/November |Keeping it Real

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Wordless Wednesday 26/November



The picture is not very good but it was the best I managed to get in a dark room. Yes, it is a cuckoo clock. The one that my grandfather bought over sixty years ago half destroyed and rebuilt with his own hands (including a lot of the wood carving) and that still hangs in the dining room of the house he was born in (which now belongs to my mother) (two of the numbers are missing, and I have to find the time to glue them back).

My grandfather was born on November 29th, 1904. He lived through Portugal's two last kings, the implantation of the first republic, World War I and World War II, the dictatorship, the 1974 revolution and the dawn of the 21st century. He died in 2001 at almost 97 years old and I still miss him daily.

He would have been 110 next Saturday so this (not so) Wordless Wednesday is in his memory. 


2 comments:

  1. I feel like a coocoo-clock. Haha, fun! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love our cuckoos. We also have 2 other chiming clocks. When they all go off at the same time, it's a riot!

    ReplyDelete